The #DemocraCE project is a platform for bringing together those who have influence in their communities, so that they can share their knowledge with others across Central and Eastern Europe (CEE).
Eventually, we would like these relationships to springboard larger pro-democratic initiatives, which will stimulate and hopefully increase the quality of public debate in post-communist Europe and address the growing resentments dominating the region as a whole.
Over the past few years, every country of CEE has seen the influence of disinformation campaigns which have negatively affected their governments, their democratic institutions and greatly weakened the bedrock of civil society. What #DemocraCE aims to accomplish is to offer articles, interviews and analysis which will hopefully combat the false narratives, often originating from Russia or other regional powers, which are disrupting and disinforming the public at large.
Our chosen course for #DemocraCE is to have knowledgeable authors write pieces for the general public published in their native language. At the same time, these articles and interviews will be published on the Visegrad/Insight website in English so as to reach the broadest of possible audiences.
Like our many colleagues across the region, we know that the most important component of a healthy democracy is a well-informed public, and we hope #DemocraCE will be part of the remedy that will help ease the problems stemming from disinformation.
#DemocraCE is realized with the help of sponsors such as the National Endowment for Democracy (NED).
Authors and Articles
- Wojciech Przybylski, A Warning Against Czexit. It was originally published (in Polish) on Dziennik.pl http://www.gazetaprawna.pl/artykuly/1123321,rzad-w-czechach-z-radykalnymi-zwolennikami-wyjscia-z-nato-i-ue.html. (In English) http://visegradinsight.eu/a-warning-against-czexit/
- Tomasz Kasprowicz , The Price of Truth. Frst published in Polityka https://www.polityka.pl/tygodnikpolityka/swiat/1748514,1,jak-nie-poddac-sie-manipulacji-w-internecie.read (In English) http://visegradinsight.eu/the-price-of-truth/
- Wojciech Przybylski, Showing Orbán the Door. First published in Polish
- Jonáš Syrovátka, Skripal: The Two Faces of the Czech Media Space. First published by HlídacíPes, Czechia, 26.4.2018 (in Czech) ; (in English)
- Botond Feledy Democracy: A Government for the Fallible. First published: Sziv – paper edition, 3.5.2018 (in Hungarian) http://visegradinsight.eu/democracy-a-government-for-the-fallible/ (in English)
- Olga Gyarfasova, Winter of Our Discontent. First published by SME, Slovakia, 21.4.2018
https://komentare.sme.sk/c/20806511/zima-nasej-nespokojnosti.html (in Slovak)
http://visegradinsight.eu/the-winter-of-our-discontent/ (in English)